Classical Topics in Topology seminar (Spring 2012)
This is a reading group for students interested in algebraic topology,
focusing on classical topics. We will meet in the fourth floor alcove, on
Fridays at 3pm.
- (2/10/12) Akhil Mathew will be speaking on the J-homomorphism (following
Adams's second paper on the topic). Notes
- (2/17/12) Saul Glasman will be speaking on the K-theory of finite fields
(following Quillen's paper).
- (2/24/12) Charmaine Sia will be speaking on the Kervaire invariant. Notes
are available here.
- (3/2/12) Mitka Vaintrob will be speaking about Bott periodicity.
- (3/9/12) Omar Antolin-Camarena will be speaking about Segal's paper
"Categories and cohomology theories.''
- (3/16/12) Spring break; no seminar.
- (3/23/12) Gijs Heuts will be speaking about the Atiyah-Singer index
- (3/30/12) Akhil Mathew will be speaking about the Dirac operator and some
of its applications. Preliminary (rough) notes.
- (4/20/12) Charmaine Sia will be speaking on some computations with the
Adams spectral sequence. Notes
are available here
- (4/27/12) Saul Glasman will be speaking about configuration spaces,
Brown-Gitler spectra, and immersion theory.