Math 25700, Section 33, Autumn 2017
Instructor: Jack Shotton, Eckhart 333, email@example.com.
College Fellow: Michael Neaton, Eckhart 12, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Text: Dummit and Foote, Abstract Algebra, third edition, chapters 1 to 4.
Lectures: MWF 10:30-11:20, Harper Memorial Library 130.
Problem sessions: TBA
- Jack: 3:30--4:30 Tuesday, 5:30--6:30 Wednesday
- Michael: 3-4 Monday, 9-10am Thursday, 1-2 Thursday
- Final exam: Friday 8th December, 10:30 - 12:30.
- Midterm 1: Monday 16th October, 10:30 - 11:20
- Midterm 2: Monday 13th November, 10:30 - 11:20
General policy: There will be two in-class midterms and a final exam, as well as weekly homework.
You should feel free (encouraged!) to work on homework together, but writeups must be independent. The material for the
midterms will be theorems, definitions and proofs that I did in class, together with questions similar to those on the
homework sheets. For the determination of the final grade, the weighting will be: 40% on the final, 20% on each
midterm, and 20% on the homework.
It is the policy of the Department of Mathematics that the following rules apply to final
exams in all undergraduate mathematics courses:
- The final exam must occur at the time and place designated on the College Final Exam
Schedule. In particular, no final examinations may be given during the tenth
week of the quarter, except in the case of graduating seniors.
- Instructors are not permitted to excuse students from the scheduled time of the final exam
except in the case of an incomplete.
Homework: This will be posted on here weekly, and due each Friday at the start of class, or in the pigeonhole in Eckhart basement by the start of class.
Homework 0 due Wednesday 9/27. This won't be graded.
Homework 1 due Friday 10/6.
Homework 2 due Friday 10/13.
Homework 3 due Friday 10/20.
Homework 4 due Friday 10/27.
Homework 5 due Friday 11/3.
Homework 6 due Friday 11/10.
Homework 7 due Friday 11/17.
Homework 8 due Monday 11/27.
Practice midterm 1.